Monday, May 14, 2012

Rejection





          The first definition of rejection is “to refuse to acknowledge.” An example would be if I ignored someone who was waiting for me to respond to him or her. This could be in passing each other in a hallway or an email or text. It is rude. It is demeaning. What I am saying is that another human being is not worthy of my time and or attention. We may even make up excuses to justify our behavior:

“I do not have people skills.”

“I am just not a people person.

“The ministry would be great if it wasn’t for the people.”


          When I reject someone I am taking a piece of them.  I envision a big hook that claws at, and then rips out a hunk of flesh of the person that is being rejected. That is so gory. That would explain why it hurts so much to be rejected because a piece of emotional flesh has just been ripped out. Maybe if I remembered that the next time I think of rejecting someone I will think twice and not do it.

          Rejection is singled out in the Bible and is stated separate from other kinds of suffering when the Bible speaks of Jesus.

Luke 17:25, “But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.”

Luke 9: 22,”Saying, The Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be slain, and be raised the third day.”

Mark 8: 31,”And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders,”

Isaiah 53: 3, “He is despised and rejected of men,”

          I take that to mean God wants us to know that Jesus was rejected also. He knows how we feel when we are rejected. The Bible says in Hebrews 4:15, “For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.”

          The second definition of rejection is “to throw out as useless or worthless; discard.” Do I think that I am really treating some other human being this way when I reject them? That is very powerful. That is saying I am better than you and you do not mean anything to me. Worthless. Useless. I can see Jesus shaking his head at me. Who am I to treat someone like they are worthless or useless? God sent his Son to die on the cross for everyone. Every person is special and important to God.
         


           "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets."  (Matthew 7:12) I guess that is the golden rule for a reason. We should treat others with  respect and value them just as God does.






No comments:

Post a Comment