Sunday, August 5, 2012

Farewell Speech - Day 14



Deuteronomy 8:1 - Deuteronomy 23:11

"Understand therefore this day, that the Lord thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the Lord hath said unto thee."  Deut. 9:3


         This section of reading reminds me of when I would be sending my children off to camp. The night before and the morning they would leave, I would be reminding them of things that they need to make sure they did and caution them of things they should not do. 

            "Don't forget to brush your teeth, or don't drink to much before you go to bed."
         "If you eat too much sugar, you know how you will get. Don't forget to tell the counselor that you have allergies."

          And then my final request, " If you need anything, call me."

"Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the Lord thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the Lord hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the Lord doth drive them out from before thee." Duet. 9:4

          Moses is not going with them over to the promised land. He is telling them all that the Lord is going to do for them. God is reminding them that it is not because they are righteous but because He hates sin that He is going before them and clearing the land.


"For the Lord your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you." Duet. 20:4



          It's like we are reading Moses's  farewell speech to the children of Israel. He really wants them to do well and obey God.



          As a parent, every day is filled with lessons to teach my children to stay close to God and obey his Word.They will disobey but God is there with forgiveness. One day my children will move out and be on their own. I need to do all I can to prepare them to serve Him.




No comments:

Post a Comment